What is a Muslim Father ?
It’s not easy to be a Muslim father. Here are some guidelines if you are a father:
1. The father must put Allah first above all else.
2. In all matters, ask yourself what Muhammad, peace be on him, would have done.
2a. Live according to Islam. Pray, fast, help those in need, be with the Muslim community and make sure your children have Muslim friends. ***
3. It’s your job to earn for your family, other than in situations beyond your control.
4. NEVER abuse your children or their mother, physically or psychologically.
5. Consult [do SHOORA] with your children and their mother in all matters concerning the family.
6. Give more care, honor and love to the DAUGHTERS over the sons.**
6a. In worldly matters treat your children equally with justice*
7. Teach the children to Love, honor and respect their mother.
8. Do not make obedience a personal matter. Obedience is to Allah alone.
9. Tolerate and respect differences of opinion within the family but do not tolerate violations of Islamic Law.
10. If a child is in open rebellion against Islam, he/she must be repudiated, but keep the door of repentance and love open. The punishment must be more in sorrow than in anger.
*** “O ye who believe! Save yourselves and your families from a Fire whose fuel is people and stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern and severe, who flinch not [from executing] the commands they receive from Allah, but do [precisely] what they are commanded.” [The Quran 66:6]
** From Abdullah ibn Abbas, r.a.: The messenger of Allah, peace be on him, said:
“One who is given a daughter and does not bury her alive [as in the Days of Ignorance], does not despise her, and does not prefer his male children to her, Allah will enter him into Paradise.” [Hadith, Sunan of Abu Dawud.]
*From Na’uman bin Bashir, r.a. ……………[From the messenger of Allah, peace be on him] :
Fear Allah and treat all your children equally with justice….Wouldn’t you like all your children to treat you well?…” [Hadith, Sahih of Bukhari.]