How the Qur’an was Transmitted. Every verse was connected to Hadith.
Answering the Fitna of Rejection of Hadith.
The following is a segment of the Juma Khutba given by Dr. Kaukab Siddique in Baltimore on October 25:
1. The Book called the Qur’an was with Allah and was revealed to Muhammad, pbuh, over a period of 23 years.
2. Each time it was revealed, it was a WAHI or revelation on his heart and soul, NEVER IN WRITING.
3. He would be helped by the Angel to memorize it. Then he would recite it to one of few Companions who could write and the sahabi would write. The Prophet, pbuh, himself could NEITHER READ nor WRITE.
4. When the Prophet, pbuh, would tell a Companion what had been revealed and ask him to write, that was Hadithe Muhammad, pbuh. Thus EVERY VERSE in the Qur’an was transmitted by hadith.
5. In Madina, the Prophet, pbuh, instituted writing as a skill among the converts to Islam. Thus as longer and longer suras were revealed, there were more and more katibs [scribes] to write them down.
6. The Book was with Allah and was gradually revealed VERBALLY, not in writing, to the Prophet, pbuh. This should be clear to all.
6. Thus when the world IQRA is translated as read or recite, it meant that Allah was going to educate the Prophet, pbuh, to be able to recite the Book coming down [nazil] from heaven.
7. When the Qur’an says, “Book”, it is not implying that the whole book had been revealed right away. The whole Book was with Allah.
8. As time went on, the Prophet, pbuh, through Allah’s Guidance told the sahaba [his Companions] which Sura to place where. Thus the first revelation, Alaq or Iqra became sura 96.
9. Again all this arrangement of the Qur’an was through Hadith, the Prophet’s directions to the sahaba,
10. Sometimes, a few words were placed by the Prophet, pbuh, within an entire sura which had already been revealed. Again, this is Hadith in action. The Qur’an thus is UNTHINKABLE without hadith. There is no Islam without Muhammad, pbuh.
The Qur’an uses the term RECITE in various forms, such as YATLU, TATLU, ATLU, YATALA. The role of the Prophet’s, pbuh, hadith, is best defined thus in Sura 2 verse 151:
“Allah has conferred a great favor on the believers, sending among them a messenger from among themselves, who RECITES [YATLU] unto them the Signs of Allah, and purifies them and INSTRUCTS them in the Book and Wisdom.”
The whole process was verbal, not in writing:
“Do not move your tongue concerning the Qur’an to make haste therewith. It is for us to collect it [in your heart], so you may recite it [quranu’hu], and when We have recited it, follow its recital [quranuhu] Nay, more, it is for US to expound it [through your tongue.” [75:16-19]
So, dear Muslims, the Prophet, pbuh, was not carrying a written Book around with him. It was all verbal and became WRITING when the Sahaba, r.a., wrote it down and memorized it.
So, bless the Sahaba, r.a., after you bless the prophet, pbuh, among them the great compiler of the entire revelation, Usman r.a., ibn Affan.
Thus those who say “Qur’an only” or that hadith was produced in the 3rd century are playing into the hands of the Zionists and the Rand Corporation.
EVERY WORD of the Qur’an was transmitted through hadith.
I conclude with this beautiful Hadith:
Fatima Zahra, r.a., narrates: “The Prophet informed me secretly, ‘Jibril used to recite the Qur’an to me and I to him once a year, but this year he has recited the entire Qur’an with me twice. I do not think but that my death is approaching.’ ” [Sahih Bukhari, Fadail al-Qur’an.]
Kaukab Siddique, PhD
Chairperson, Department of Languages and Literature, Interim
وَهُوَ الَّذِي خَلَقَ مِنَ الْمَاءِ بَشَرًا فَجَعَلَهُ نَسَبًا وَصِهْرًا ۗ وَكَانَ رَبُّكَ قَدِيرًا﴿٥٤﴾[25:54] Yusuf AliIt is He Who has created man from water: then has He established relationships of lineage and marriage: for thy Lord has power (over all things).
FOR “WHO IS ABU HURAIRA ?” PLEASE CLICK HERE……
This beloved companion of the Prophet, pbuh (Abu Huraira) , is under attack by the sectarians and others who wish to divide and weaken the Ummah by causing “doubt” and sowing hatred. Why?
Here are some reasons derived from an analytical study of the objections and investigation into the reliability and authenticity of what they have purported regarding Abu Huraira R.A.:
WHY DO THESE PEOPLE HATE ABU HURAIRA, r.a.?
- For the sectarians there seems to be an element of jealousy (personal and projected) that Abu Huraira, r.a., came into the Islamic struggle in its final years and equalled, if not surpassed, most companions of the Prophet, pbuh, in many ways, and in particular in the narration of the Prophet’s Hadith. In examining the behavior of the companions of the Prophet (pbuh) no such competitive jealousy or negativity is apparent at all.
- It is thus the base nature of the recent reviewers who have sown their petty feelings of competition in the blessed field of love and devotion that the companions had for each other and for our Prophet pbuh.
- Abu Huraira, r.a., remained neutral in the conflict between Hazrat Ali and Ameer Muawiya as well as in the confrontation between Hazrat Ali and ‘Ayesha Siddiqa, r.a. Like Hasan,r.a., the elder son of Ali, r.a., Abu Huraira opposed the inter-Muslim conflicts.
- The sectarians claim that Hazrat Ali spoke against Abu Huraira, r.a. In reviewing the literature both historical and of the hadith and seerah there is no such evidence. There are a couple of statements which appeared long after the two had passed away which have been erroneously and without sound authenticity attributed to Ali, r.a., against Abu Huraira. On close examination these are fabrications produced much after both Ali and Abu Huraira had passed away.
- In the sectarian attack distributed by Syed Jarchavi, the person named Awan claims that Abu Huraira, r.a., was “hired” by Muawiyya. This is a figment of Awan’s imagination. Most modern readers would not know that during the rule of Ameer Muawiyya there was PEACE AND UNITY in the Muslim realm. Imam Hasan had made peace with Ameer Muawiyya and a spirit of cooperation existed among all segments of society. There was no question of anyone “hiring” Abu Huraira, r.a.
WHY ARE THE ANTI-HADITH PEOPLE AGAINST ABU HURAIRA, r.a.?
The anti hadith people have a desire to break the Quran from the Sunnah and ride on their whims and inclinations. The Quran warns us of such inclinations and such people who argue against the obedience of Allah and obedience of His Rasool pbuh.
The actions of the anti hadith people may also have stemmed from a desire to create something new in the Deen to give it life by its “fresh interpretation”. Such self-proclaimed “scholars” have a tendency to announce something which has “shock value” just to get attention.
It is most unfortunate, because many others who are not scholars of Deen may be misled by the sensationalism that rides the wave of disrespect of the Quran and the Sunnah. This is at the heart of the problem of criticizing Abu Huraira RA.
- For the anti-Hadith self-proclaimed scholars, Abu Huraira, r.a., may pose a problem because he has narrated more Hadith of the Prophet, pbuh., than any other sahabi. Targeting him is a way to target most of the ahadiths recorded.
- In their myopic view If Abu Huraira, r.a., could be discredited then a big chunk of Hadith could be discredited.
The anti-Hadith people are dishonest even in their critic of Abu Huraira and the Hadith:
Although they oppose Hadith and claim that they want the “Qur’an alone,” they turn around and relate some Hadith narrations in which they claim that ‘Ayesha, r.a., and Umar, r.a., looked critically at a few of Abu Huraira’s narrations. So they are antihadith but they quote hadith as being authentic to back their opinions.
Those who want to get rid of the Hadith and Sunnah and proclaim their own Sunnah over the Sunnah of the Prophet pbuh are using these couple of instances of discussion on a hadith to cast suspicion on Abu Huraira r.a and the hadith he related.
The impression these anti hadith people want to perpetrate is that ALL of Abu Huraira’s narrations should be suspected. This would in their eyes give them free license to pick whichever practices of our Deen that they desire and discard what they so desire.
In the final analysis the Fear of Allah has left the hearts of those who manipulate the words of Allah and His Rasool pbuh and deceive and lure others into disobedience by making evil look innocent and vice versa.
We know from the Quran that all those who deliberately mislead others because of their inclinations or other reasons will not only suffer for their own disobedience but will be responsible for the disobedience perpetrated due to their misguidance of the Quran and Sunnah.
Allah knows best.
Astighfirullahi wa Atubu Alaik!